a satisfying sport utilising tactics and touch in equal measure. It combines strategy
and precision and is a bit like snooker on grass or a combination of chess and
golf. Croquet can be
enjoyed by all ages and sexes on an equal basis.
For an example of croquet played by an expert see this video.
This site collects together information concerning Association Croquet in over 700 articles and presents coaching
information intended for both complete beginners and world champions.
There are two main forms of croquet: Association (or
International) Rules croquet and American Rules croquet. The majority of
the tactical information
on this site is for the Association Rules game.
World Online, for American Rules information.
How to use this site.
The main information categories are shown in the menu on the right. If you are looking for a specific piece of information use the Search function. If you would like to browse the site click on the Map button by the search box on the right.
Please note external links open in fresh windows hence you may need to permit pop-ups. The menu strip on the right of the pages will not be printed out if you print a page.
Complete croquet books online
- Plus One On Time: Croquet Tactics from novice to medium ability players
by Don Gaunt.
- Expert Croquet Tactics: Keith Wylie's book is the bible of Association Croquet strategy for A-class and International players.
- Croquet Management: Classic tournament management manual by two very experienced managers, Gaunt and Wheeler.
Do croquet balls get significantly bigger on a hot day? Some certainly get hotter than others. Two new papers cover the topic:
Modern technology can map out the bumps on croquet lawns from the air. The use of LIDAR data for investigating the topography of croquet lawns was investigated.
Oxford Croquet's research laboratory is pleased to offer its state-of-the-art coaching aid. This is a 3D lawn which can be rotated and zoomed in real time as standard manoeuvres are demonstrated with a commentary. It is much easier to understand these lines of play from the animations rather than a stack of diagrams.
What the reviewers say:
- Congratulations - your very good site has become excellent.
- This e-mail is just to congratulate you for the excellent 'The
Oxford Croquet Site'. RR
- I've just been having a look at your new website. Very impressive.
- Oxford Croquet Website. Congrats, and it's about time! BA
- Wonderful improvement to the site. DO
- Congratulations on the website - it's a real asset to the
game: especially to those of us trying to develop our play and our clubs.